|How to Create a Setting|
You have read about how to create a setting, but now it is time to make your own. These exercises will train you so that you can not only get the idea of how to make a setting, but to make a specific setting for your own story.
Some of the sentences are missing important parts! Using your creative mind, come up with some words that can fit in each blank. The first one has been done for you.
Example: Paul entered a fast food restaurant for lunch. He smelled fries in the air, and so he decided that it was what he wanted to order. As he walked towards the counter to order, Paul heard shouting behind him. It was his co-worker, Dan. “Hey, buddy!” shouted Dan. Dan punched Paul’s shoulder playfully and offered to buy lunch.
1. Lawrence walked inside the_____________. He heard___________, so he decided to see what was going on. He sees his little brother Mike ___________________. “May I join you?” asked Lawrence. “Yeah,” responded Mike. Both brothers___________________ ; that strengthened the bond between them.
2. Andy lost his bag that was filled with ______________. So, he drives to the _______________ to replace the ones he lost. He has never been inside the ______________, so he asks someone who works there for some help. The gentleman shows Andy where to find _________________. “I’ll help you at the register,” he says. Andy drives back home and places his new____________ in the back seat of his car. His bag of ________________ was there the whole time.
Create a setting with the given key word or phrase. Remember to use any of the five senses (see, hear, taste, smell, touch) to describe the setting. The first example has been given to you.
Example: A new classroom
Now try it yourself with the following phrases:
Read each situation below. For each situation, come up with five words or phrases that come to mind that can be used to create a setting. The first one has been done for you.
1. Michael is having his 14th birthday party.
2. Michelle is visiting her grandmother.
3. Vanessa is cleaning her room.